Friday, December 9, 2011

Sensitive pony!

I just realized it has been almost a WHOLE month since I wrote last. Wow!

Sensitive issue #1-With the cold weather tryin' to make its way in I have noticed Bryce becoming exceptionally sensitive. Annoyingly sensitive. He has decided if the temperature is below 55ish, since he is body clipped, that gives him an excuse to sass and buck and hop and fling around obnoxiously instead of working. I try my hardest to work him through it so he does not think he can get away with it... but sometimes I am just not in the mood. I am borrowing one of my friend's quarter/exercise rugs and it helps maybe 70%. Better than no help...I guess!

Sensitive issue #2- Over Thanksgiving break I had planned on taking Bryce to a friend's property about a mile up the road. I was borrowing one of the worker's trailers at the barn. It was a basic, two horse, side by side, front load. Bryce loads just fine- except for this day. He REFUSED to get on this trailer. It was older and very small so in order to fit enough to close the door, he had to stand with his chest against a padded board. Well, after an hour of trying he would not step in far enough to close to the door. GRR! I decided to just hack him quickly then ride one of my friends horses. As soon as I was done riding, I got off in the ring (like always) and loosened his girth (like always). He scratched his face on his left leg (like always) and then my worst nightmare came true-


Yeup, he rolled....in my saddle. Just threw himself down and rolled. Not only rolled but completely rolled over 4x!!! And there I was screaming at the top of my lungs "NOO MY SADDLE. MY SADDLE. YOU STUPID HORSE GET UP!". And there was my friend laughing along with the farrier, who snuck out to see what all the commotion was. My friend told me my saddle could be cleaned and not too worry- if only she knew- I paid 4x more for my saddle than my horse. EEK!
I've decided it was revenge for trying to make him load on a trailer too small.

Good news- I felt Bryce really use and engage his hind end for the first time! It felt so amazing. He started getting heavy with on/off work lately. We were working on three jumps and approaching them each from a roll back to really get him off him front end and it worked! Wow. It was just great to feel him really using himself to his fullest (even just for a few strides). And was he jumping great after that! I cannot wait to see how he is when show season rolls around :]

ONE MORE THING!!! I added a new member to the family. Meet Ralph! He is a 1 1/2 yr old, AKC reg. Great Dane. Already SO spoiled.



1 comment: